The Ensign School Community fosters academic success, self-esteem and creativity. We reinforce the following environment for student development:
- We support the right of each student to learn by offering a variety of educational opportunities.
- We develop character essential to the growth of the individual and a healthy school community.
- We respect the integrity of every individual.
- We empower students by ensuring a safe and trusting environment.
- We prepare students to participate actively in the global community.
- Educators, parents, students, and the community share responsibility for education.
- After-School Program - Supervised after-school care program providing tutoring and homework assistance in a curriculum-based play context. Website: afterschool.slcschools.org Phone: 801.578.8275
- Beverly Taylor Sorenson Arts Learning Program -Through this program we have an arts specialist who teaches both innovate art classes to our students as well as working alongside our classroom teachers to develop arts-based lesson plans in the core subjects of reading, math, science, and history. To read more about this dynamic and beneficial program visit the program website.
- Extended Learning Program - Extended academics challenge identified students in grades 4-6. Students meet in small groups twice a week to pursue a curriculum that integrates math, science, social studies and language arts. Students may participate in Creative pursuits, Debate, and Math Olympiads.
- Computer Program - Students are exposed to technology, emphasizing keyboarding proficiency, as well as Internet research skills. A teaching lab with 32 computers, a computer in each classroom, and special programs support our technology program.
- Music Program - Classes in band and orchestra are offered in the 5th and 6th grade. General music is offered in the 3rd and 4th grade.
- Curriculum and Assessment Program - Three lab classrooms of approximately 25-30 students each. Students remain with each teacher for two years and pass through the grade levels as a community.
- Special Education - Ensign has three special education classrooms providing tailored educational opportunities to students with special needs.
Ensign Elementary School has a wide range of opportunities for parents and community members to become involved in our school.
- Parent Teacher Association - One of the great strengths of our school is our wonderful PTA. With a fall fundraiser, including our popular "Back to School Bash," the PTA supports programs and initiatives that help make our school successful. These include financial assistance for teachers in purchasing classroom materials, subsidizing optional programs and services including the arts, and overseeing our marvelous volunteer parents.
- School Community Council - The School Community Council is your opportunity to be part of the Shared Governance of our school. Made up of representative parents, faculty, the principal and the PTA president, the SCC is charged with providing a cooperative means of improving educational programs and conditions within the school. Members are elected. However, meetings are open to any parent with a child at Ensign as well as the community.
- Parental Involvement - Ensign Elementary and its teachers and principal invite and welcome parents and other members of our community to volunteer their time and experience in helping to make our school the best it can be. Interested parties should contact the school secretary or their children's teachers directly for more information.